I've made past mention of my efforts to reduce my ridiculous knife collection on ebay - so far, I've managed to do some major whittling down but there are still a lot to sell.
Now it's time for some of the more tough decisions. I want to reduce what I own down to just three useful categories:
1. EDC Knives - folding and fixed blade
My current EDC knives are:
- Benchmade Griptilian 550HG
- Boker Fred Perrin neck bowie
- some crappy throw away keychain folders, one in pocket and one on my keyring
The one change I am going to make is I am going to switch to the Spyderco Yojimbo 2 when it comes available (got my pre-order in), I was able to handle a prototype and it's freaking awesome.
2. Large Survival Knives - some tough decisions here plus these can be the hardest to sell online due to the high shipping cost.
I think I am going with:
- Cold Steel Recon Scout
- Fallkniven A1
The CS is awesome but I still want to get some kydex sheaths - there's some cash out of pocket :(
I was going to sell the A1 but I think it could come in handy if I move to BC with its year-round wet climate. We plan to be on the water a lot more too. I already have a very strong retention kydex sheath for it and I think it will be my "strap to my leg in case I have to build my own civilization after I fall in the river while boating" knife.
I may keep an Ontario Rat 5 knife as well, still undecided.
3. Small Survival Knives - I am keeping my box full of $10 mora knives. I generally favor the 511 for the protruding guard and yes, I know that real bushcraft people everywhere are gasping in horror and that real men don't need guards on their knives. It's just safer and I prefer it that way. So there! :)
I will probably keep a couple of serrated river knives also, I have some quick deploying titanium knives that I attach to life vests.
Everything else must go *sigh* except for some machetes, they are handy and aren't worth selling due to low dollar value/high shipping cost.
I am selling all my "tactical" or fighting knives and all my other folding knives. What a terrible waste of money. I have no need for them and it's better to have a use version and a spare of a knife I am used to rather than constantly rotating my carry knives. Or just leaving them in a box collecting dust.